Thursday, February 16, 2012

...and a wild ferret in the barbecue.

I went to my neurosurgeon today and got confirmation I need a second revision. It's actually for a different reason than I thought though...the lead in my forehead (supra-orbital area) has moved. It's most likely because the battery pack has tilted, which pulled all the wires tight. I did notice the sensations were different, but when it started cutting out I just turned it off for good, so I didn't consider that the lead might have moved. I'm going to try to get a copy of my x-rays to post so everyone can see exactly what I'm talking about.

My neurosurgeon wanted to put the battery in a mesh-type pouch and put it back in my stomach but I said no way, no how. That area just isn't working for me and I don't want to have to go through another revision before he realizes it too. I understand his point, there is a lot of movement in the chest area, but there are just too many wires running too many feet to make it worth keeping it in my stomach. I talked to my Medtronics rep alone and she agrees that it should absolutely be moved. And since they have to re-tunnel the lead anyways, why not change the location too? We're going to keep the same non-rechargeable battery though because apparently the size isn't too much different, and trying to charge the battery while it's in your chest is supposed to be a real pain.

I don't yet have a surgery date, or even a general idea of when it might happen. I think the worst part is waiting. I'm not getting any pain relief from the stimulator right now, which makes this all more difficult to deal with. But overall I'm actually doing alright. I would rather not have to go through it, but in the end it's worth it.

So I got home from my appointment today and found a wild ferret in my mom's barbecue. It made me laugh. Only in my life would I get news I'm going to have another brain surgery and then find a ferret. They are illegal in California, so we called animal control who came and picked it up. Little known ferret fact: they spray a foul smell much like skunks when they are scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment